Friday 23 November 2012

[INTERVIEW] 23.11.2012 - INFINITE'S SUNGGYU "HOYA WHO DID WELL IN 'REPLY 1997', I CALL HIM HYUNG"



“These days I call Hoya ‘hyung’.”

The member L appeared in the music video for Kim Sunggyu who’s the first Infinite member to release a solo album while the other members came on the filming set to support him. Kim Sunggyu started off the solos not as an actor but as a singer, he recently revealed his burden about it during his interview with Newsen.









The member L from the same group appeared as the main character in the music video of Kim Sunggyu’s title song, ‘60 Seconds’. When we asked him if he didn’t think about being the main character since it’s his solo song, he said “Truthfully, I didn’t want to do it but when actually seeing it, I thought that I wanted to do it”.


Kim Sunggyu said playfully “While watching the video, when I saw that I wasn’t appearing much, I thought that it was a bit sad. I did think ‘I wish I did it’ but even if I said I wanted to do it, maybe the company wouldn’t let me do so. But I still wanted to try it” and he revealed a behind the scene story “Actually, starting from when it was decided that I would release an album, L directly said he as going to appear in the music video so I didn’t have the time to say I’d do it. Even if he was busy, he obstinately said he was going to do it”. He then added like a unique throwaway “I’m thankful. He did well”.


Infinite started individual activities for some time already. It was the birth of a new acting-dol when Hoya appeared in the drama ‘Reply 1997’ and got praised for it, L who’s constantly acting is actually appearing in the sitcom ‘What Is Mom’.


“I can’t watch all of the episodes of L’s sitcom but I watched the first episodes. I watched ‘Reply 1997’ as well and ‘The Thousandth Man’. (But I couldn’t see the one where I appeared in.) I don’t watch all the episodes of the dramas the members appear in but I always make sure to watch the first episode. I don’t know well either so I didn’t give them any acting advices but I like watching them. When I see L do the dramas, concerts, and even Infinite’s schedules and endure all of this well, I’m thankful as a hyung.


During this year’s SBS ‘Gayo Daejun’, Hoya and Woohyun are going to go up on stage not as Infinite but as new groups they’ll form with members from other idol groups. Kim Sunggyu said “I’m somewhat bitter and sad but these teams aren’t going to last so [it’s alright]”.


“But I still hope for our members to shine and do well in these teams. I’ll also support them.. I’m used to them being in our team so I’m actually worried hen thinking they’re going to be in another team. Woohyun is in the blue team with Sweetune and our team also had to take care of the choreography. Hoya is in a team with people we didn’t get to work with until now so I’m a bit worried. But I think they’ll earn a lot of experience from it.”


When talking about Hoya, he couldn’t not talk about the combi play the two people showed this year. Kim Sunggyu said about the their rankings “These days I call Hoya ‘hyung’” and “Hoya also treats me like a dongsaeng”.


“I joke around calling him hyung because he’s popular but doesn’t Hoya have very good skills? Rapping, singing, dancing, acting, he can do everything. When we’re together I say that I’m above them but I can’t go against these friends. A little while ago, when we were in Japan, I went to eat with Hoya at a Korean restaurant, the owner didn’t recognize me but told Hoya he watched his drama well. I told myself it had a huge effect. After that I couldn’t treat him carelessly and he looked different? And Hoya is very playful so he jokes really well with me calling himself ‘Ho-actor’, ‘Uptrend’ and such. On the outside I say “Don’t make me laugh you’re not there yet’ but there are a lot of times where I’m surprised. I thought that his drama did really well so he has a lot of popularity. When he was doing the drama, there was always this kind of reaction for Hoya no matter where we went.”


Seeing that the hyung and dongsaeng switched place between Kim Sunggyu and Hoya, Infinite had a lot of reactions saying they were funny when switching places starting from when they did the variety program ‘Ranking King’, like it was Infinite’s only gag code.


“That friend (Hoya) says that he’s a manly and dark guy but he’s really a Gyeongsangdo namja (T/N: Gyeonsang is a Korean province, men from Gyeongsang are said to be very manly). He’s cold, doesn’t express himself well, he’s introverted and doesn’t really say when he doesn’t like something, but even so, at some point he must’ve found entertaining to make fun of me. He did his broadcast well and came home saying ‘Today I did well’ the dongsaengs were praising him and without even knowing it I was feeling proud too. He also teased me sometimes but starting from then I think I got excited. It was making me more confident no matter where I went.”






trans. cr; emilie @ infinite updates | source cr; newsen; take out with full credits







No comments:

Post a Comment