Saturday 27 April 2013

[INTERVIEW] MAY 2013 EDITION OF DAZED & CONFUSED




SUNGGYU


Q: What do you think it would be like if you were to leave Infinite?


A: I think our popularity wouldn’t have much of a difference (laughter). Although there are fans who like my music and even my personality and looks, I don’t think it’s the to point where it influences Infinite’s popularity. But you should know this. If I wasn’t here, the Infinite of right now wouldn’t be here either. Popularity isn’t everything. You need someone who can grasp onto the team as a hyung and tell them bitter things as well. And you also can’t ignore my capability as the main vocalist.


Q: Your capability as the main vocalist, how many points would you give yourself out of 100?


A: I carefully think I’m around 80 points. Although I’m not spectacular at singing, I believe that I understand around 80% of the emotional aspect of Infinite’s songs.


Q: Is there something you regret saying in a past interview?


A: Nothing at all. Thoughts change over time, so whatever I was thinking at that moment was right. Something I regret slightly is saying bad things about our company in an interview where we could remain anonymous. Because the aftermath of that… (laughter). Even when I ask something seriously from the company, they accept it as a joke, so I regret that a bit.


Q: What do you think about the comments that your solo promotions weren’t good?


A: There are many people who have a misunderstanding of something I said to be funny on a variety program, but my album didn’t fail. Also, more than anything, I’m content because I did what I wanted to do. And I’m also proud that I was able to work with my idols, Nell hyungs. It was a good try and a good experience. And the profit was better too.


Q: If you had to change one thing that makes Infinite, what would it be?



A: I would like the break the partial thinking that Infinite only sings with melodies from the 90’s with old hairstyles and retro sounds.


Q: Do you think that you haven’t matured yet?


A: I hope that I haven’t. Differing from people my age who worry about the present and future, I already have a job. Due to that, I started saying ridiculous things to my friends along the way. “A road isn’t something you find, but something you make” or “It doesn’t work because you keep thinking that it won’t work. Believe in yourself.” I really hate myself for saying these things. I don’t want to mature.


Q: What do you think the reason of your existence is?


A: I want to believe that I was born to sing, but I don’t think that’s a perfect answer. I think music is only one part of the reason, and I think I’ll be able to figure it out once I meet the person I love later on. Because that person could be the reason of my existence. Haha.


Q: If you were to pick out something that girls do that you don’t understand, what would it be?


A: Even after being very close friends, girls quickly become angry at each other then become friends again, and then they repeat that. I don’t understand that. When I ask “Weren’t you guys not close?”, they say that they made up, and when I ask “Weren’t you guys close?”, they say that they recently fought…


Q: Have you earned the amount of money you wished to earn?


A: I still feel like it’s fair. The same dream for all 7 members is to buy our mothers a house, but no one has made that amount of money yet.



-
SUNGJONG



Q: What do you hear most from people you meet for the first time?


A: “You’re a good-looking boy”, “You’re pretty”.


Q: From all the clothes you wore onstage, which one did you really dislike?


A: An silver outfit that looked like a hairtail fish that I wore on a dance battle during a Lunar New Year special program.


Q: Something you wouldn’t be able to do even if someone gave you 10 billion won?


A: I don’t think I would be able to raise a spider. If I had to touch it against my will, I would be able to, but I don’t think I could raise it. Although I like other animals or reptiles, I’m really scared of spiders.


Q: Is there something you regret saying in a past interview?


A: It wasn’t during an interview, but I used to dance girl group dances on variety shows without people even asking me to. To this, I think, ‘I should’ve only showed it occasionally, why did I show that dance whenever we went on a show’.


Q: A positive point as a musician that only you have?


A: I heard that my voice tone is good. When I hear my voice, I think, ‘I should work harder. There’s still a long way to go’.


Q: Does being a member of Infinite make you feel like your dream has come true?


A: I always feel like I’m currently dreaming. Because I’m living the life I wanted to live. The fact that we’re taking a pictorial like this today also makes me really happy. I think to myself, ‘I picked this life well. Even if I was tired, I held up well’

.
Q: Aren’t you tired and exhausted?


A: Besides not being able to sleep and eat, I’m fine. But since my face swells up easily in the morning, the fact that I have to starve at night and endure with vitamins if we have a schedule the next day is difficult.


Q: Is there a midnight snack you think of at that time?


A: There are a lot. Chicken, hamburger, chocolate chip cookies which I like, fruit, bibimbap, and I really think a lot about cup ramyun.


-
WOOHYUN



Q: Say you’re currently really tired, your body condition isn’t good, and you don’t feel good either. But if a fan comes and asks for your signature, would you do it?


A: I would do everything. I’ve never refused to. It doesn’t even take 10 seconds to sign something.


Q: Do you feel like you were born to do music?


A: Yes. I like music, and I wish to express things through music. I always feel this.


Q: Is there a dream that you wish to really come true?


A: I want to continue making music. In a different genre from Infinite. I personally like ballads in a medium tempo. Like Jeff Bennett.


Q: If you weren’t there, what would happen to Infinite?


A: Someone else would fulfill that spot. However, the musical colors or Infinite’s charms would be affected a bit. I think our charms would decrease. Because I’m the kid with charms. Haha.


Q: Something you can’t understand about yourself?


A: The fact that I only wear undergarments at home. The moment we go home, my position as an idol is forgotten.


Q: If you could interview someone, who would you like to interview?


A: I would want to interview my parents. I want to ask them how they felt when I told that I was going to be a singer for the first time and why they believed in me till the end.


Q: All the members are currently attending college, but do you feel that college education is necessary for an idol?


A: Education is necessary. Things you learn in real life differ from what you learn at school.


Q: If you were able to personally recruit a musician or producer for your next album, who would you like to work with?


A: PSY senior since it’s a style we’ve never tried out yet. I like that carefree style. I like that music style where you aren’t suppressed and just show what you want to. I believe something like that is necessary for Infinite. We can’t just do angled group choreography forever. Don’t you think it would be funny if we did angled group choreography at the age of 35.


-
SUNGYEOL 


Q: I heard that you even split up your sleeping time and exercised.


A: My body was able to be at this state from training it a bit. I was a weird combination where my body was really skinny and I had narrow shoulders, but a large face. So until our concert, I gave up my sleeping time for 5 months and only exercised. So after diligently building my body, I showed it during the concert, but I didn’t get the response that I thought I would.


Q: What was the response like?


A: I definitely thought that if I took off my clothes during the concert, I would get a response like ‘Lee Sungyeol became sexy’, but since I revealed my chest while dancing ‘Trouble Maker’ dressed up as Hyuna, I only saw comments like ‘That’s gross, racy, what is he doing’.


Q: Have you earned the amount of money you wished to earn?


A: There’s still a long way to go. My dream is to earn 50 billion won.


Q: Something you wouldn’t be able to do even if someone gave you 50 billion won?


A: If it’s 50 billion won, I’ll put my all in it no matter what it is. Nothing’s impossible.


Q: Even if idols want to date, they never have any girlfriends. Do you think people believe that statement?


A: Whether they believe it or not, we’re happily playing between ourselves, so if they have something to say about that then…


Q: Are idols not allowed to date?


A: I think that too. ‘Why aren’t idols allowed to date? We’re people too. We’re in our 20’s, which is when you should be enjoying that, but why are we supposed to be like this and not enjoy it?’ But it seems like fans will feel like they’ve been betrayed if we were to say we’re dating.


Q: If you were to pick out something that girls do that you don’t understand, what would it be?


A: There’s something called ‘dapjungneo’. It’s a shortened way of saying, ‘The answer is already there, you just have to reply’. For example, when it’s just guys talking and they say “I look like someone”, we would honestly say, “You don’t look like them at all. They’re much better”. But it seems like girls can’t tell them that they don’t look alike when one of them goes, “I heard that I look like someone, but do you think I look like them?”. I was curious about that. Why can’t you just tell them…


Q: If you were to leave Infinite, what would happen?


A: They would probably fail. All of them are short, so something would look off. Like what would kids who are all around that height try to do (laughter).



-
HOYA


Q: From all the clothes you wore onstage, which one did you really dislike?


A: There’s a fishnet jacket that I wore during promotions for this album, but there was a huge hole. We have a dance during the chorus where we hit our jackets with our hands, but my hand keeps going inside the netting. I asked for them to stop making that pattern.


Q: If you were to change one of the elements that make up Infinite, what would it be?


A: Our members’ positions. It’s already been around 3 years since we’ve debuted, but we’ve been safely using the same position since the beginning even when we’re recording. I hope that would could try out various things. I believe that you have to give a variety of opportunities to the members in order for their hidden potentials to come out.


Q: What are you currently most fearful of?


A: When I feel that my future has been set in stone. They say the average span of an idol is 3~4 years, and there are also cases where it doesn’t work out for people after the idol group disbands. Although I’m definite that it won’t happen to us, I feel worried when I think about it. Even the fact that our plans in 1~2 years have already been set out is a bit. The future’s fun when you don’t know what will happen, but since it’s set out like that. I get worried when I think about whether or not I’ll have to continue doing the same thing without any color after 1~2 years.


Q: What makes you angry?


A: Looking down on me. But I feel like that’s also my motivation. When I said that I would become a singer when I was younger, I was constantly looked down upon. Whenever that happened, I told myself ‘I’ll become successful and ignore them’.


Q: Something you can’t understand about yourself?


A: I noticed that my emotions go back and forth a lot after we debuted. On some days, I would feel bad the whole day for no reason, and on other days, I would be happy. I also think I feel stressed about what is shown in front of the public. I don’t really know the reason either.


Q: Are you the type to tell people what you’re thinking?


A: I usually think about it myself. During a drinking session, one of my friends started lamenting on their misfortune. I’ve also tried that before, but I just felt empty from it. That’s why I don’t really talk.


Q: Even if idols want to date, they never have any girlfriends. Do you think people believe that statement?


A: They probably don’t believe it. Haha. I’ve never had a girlfriend after debuting, but I’ve met up with friends that I knew from a long time ago. But whenever I meet them, I get anxious that someone will see us, and I always thought, ‘I shouldn’t be acting like this right now’. I still don’t want to have a girlfriend yet.


Q: If you could interview someone, who would you like to interview?


A: Admiral Lee Soonshin. There’s a story that he didn’t die from getting shot with an arrow to the stomach, so I want to ask him about that.
-
L
Q: What was the last thing you bought?


A: I was tired before, so I bought and drank a Red Bull.


Q: You take pictures often, but is there something you wish to take a picture of that you haven’t done so yet?


A: We moved around a lot today because our schedule was tight, but on our way from Mokdong to Yeouido, I saw that a lot of cherry blossoms have bloomed. I want to take pictures of spring flowers.


Q: Are you a free person?


A: I wish to become free, and I’m also free in reality. Compared to the other members, I don’t think the company restricts me as much. Although being free is good, I wish that they would occasionally hold me back (laughter). I don’t really know how to explain this feeling, but I want to hear something like “Can’t you not go out for today?”. Haha.


Q: Does being a member of Infinite make you feel like your dream has come true?


A: I achieved my dream after debuting. But my dream changes every year. My dream for this year is to increase my abilities and allow our team to be known more publicly.


Q: Aren’t you guys known publicly enough?


A: When I say public, I mean for people to say ‘their albums are always the best albums’ when they think of Infinite. I wish to become a group where if we release a new song, people would think to listen to it at least once.


Q: What’s a song by another idol that felt fresh to the point where you felt like you were hit on the head?


A: The most refreshing one was SHINee’s ‘Sherlock’. Their choreography and the fact that they mixed two songs approached me as a new try.


Q: What makes you angriest?


A: Even if I get angry, I get over it quickly because my blood type is O. However, I can’t stand watching when a guy treats a girl badly.


Q: If you were to pick out something that girls do that you don’t understand, what would it be?


A: Getting upset without any specific reason. I don’t know the reasons as to why girls get upset.


Q: Something you wouldn’t be able to do even if someone gave you 10 billion won?


A: Leaving Infinite. Because each and every day is fun, I don’t think I would be able to exchange that for money. Also, I can’t buy these members by giving money.


Q: If you were to objectively grade your singing and dancing skills?


A: It’s still incomplete to grade myself with points. However, I can say that last year was better than the year before, this year was better than last year, and next month will be better than this month.



-
DONGWOO


Q: Aren’t you tired?


A: Before I close my eyes, I believe that I need to do my best.


Q: You often hear that you’re random, but what side do you think people see before calling you random?


A: My eating style or my positive tone. Because I eat slowly, I often hear, “Are you making the food and eating it”. Even when they finish their meals and are resting or brushing their teeth, I’m still eating. I’m generally slow in everything.


Q: Have you ever felt resentment towards being slow?


A: When I realized emotions late. I’m also slow at being aware of my surroundings. In high school, there was a time where I was late in realizing whether I liked someone or not.


Q: Something you wouldn’t be able to do even if someone gave you 10 billion won?


A: I wouldn’t be able to betray someone. However, if you gave me 10 billion won, I’m okay with even doing a nude pictorial. Haha. If it’s 10 billion won, I’ll even be able to buy the dream car that I want to buy.


Q: What’s your dream car?



A: A Lamborghini. With its engine that shakes the heart of males, it isn’t just called a bull for nothing. My wish is to hold its steering wheel.


Q: If you were to recruit a producer or musician that you wish to have for Infinite’s album, who would it be?


A: I want to try working with Chris Brown. I really like Chris Brown’s songs like ‘Strip’. I like that unique feeling that’s comforting yet exciting. Listen to it. It’s a bit racy though. The lyrics.


Q: What is Infinite’s next step?


A: The owners of music. Although it’s vague to talk about our next step since music has no limits, I wish to become the owner of music. Woohyun would write lyrics, Hoya and I would write the rap, and Sunggyu hyung would compose. I want to become an owner of a song like that. Making music by writing lyrics, composing, and arranging, then L would take pictures and create an album jacket to suit the music, and pick a concept then film a music video. I want to work on an album where we become the owners from start to finish. But experience is still more important than anything else. I especially think an experience with love is important. “Everyone, I’m open.”


Q: Even if idols want to date, they never have any girlfriends. Do you think people believe that statement?


A: Although it’s up to them whether they believe it or not, you’ll know just by seeing us. Our desires, or wait no, the emotions that haven’t been fulfilled aren’t able to be held back, and we explode things like that on air. I think that’s proof enough.


Q: Are idols not allowed to date?


A: Its not that we’re not allowed to date, but if you look at our schedule, you can see that we’re too busy trying to sleep to think about dating or anything else. We’re really out of breath. (As he shows me the schedule) I’m sorry. Did my emotions explode out too much? I was just really frustrated… I’ll repeat the question back at you then. Would you be able to meet a guy with a schedule like this?


Q: Something your friends say the most to you?


A: “You’re really!”





-
trans. cr; hyejin @ infinite updates | source cr; naver blog ; take out with full credits






No comments:

Post a Comment