Monday 17 September 2012

[INTERVIEW] 17.09.2012 - "REPLY 1997" SHIN WONHO PD "THANKS HOYA FOR THE HOMOSEXUAL ACTING"



It’s a syndrome.


Lately, the cable chanel tvN’s weekly drama ‘Reply 1997’ has monopolized the searched words on all the online portal sites and it continues to be successful. Including that, ‘Reply 1997’ is a story filled with the biggest factor that makes the viewers’ hearts flutter: ‘the debate of who likes who’.







The story of Kang Junhee (Hoya’s role) having a crush on Yoon Yoonjae (Seo Ingook’s role) is enough to catch their attention. It’s because it’s a love story that is as cold and sad, and it’s telling about your worries or the worries of the closest person to you, experiencing their sexual identity during their school days.


Shin Wonho PD who directed ‘Reply 1997’ explained about Kang Junhee’s character “He’s the character I cherish the most”. Shin Wonho PD slowly explained the reasons of his affection for Kang Junhee.


“I thought that it would be nice if there was an impossible heartbreaking love. That was the death of Yoon Taewoong’s (Song Jongho’s role) lover and Kang Junhee loving Yoon Yoonjae, of course. Without saying he wasn’t homosexual, Kang Junhee just likes Yoonjae. I wished that [the viewers] just accept how heartbreaking it was. A sorrowful love that can’t be revealed, it’s of course, a heartbreaking love story.”


Shin Wonho PD also revealed why the member of the boygroup Infinite, Hoya, was chosen for Kang Junhee’s role. There were Infinite members who were already known through dramas before but Shin Wonho PD didn’t choose them, he chose Hoya who didn’t have acting experience

.
“You would usually think that feminine actors match Kang Junhee’s role. But I thought that it would be boring if I did so and it would be nice if I chose someone unexpected. I wanted a friend who is manly while being delicate. I saw many auditions but there were only friends with a soft image. During the moment when I was almost going to give up, I got to see Infinite’s Hoya. Because in the group, his nickname is ‘real man’, and I felt that he could give off a soft feeling too, I chose to do it with Hoya.





Making a member of one of the most popular idol group lately, act as a homosexual isn’t an easy thing. Even though it was difficult for Shin Wonho PD, the viewers perfectly accepted Kang Junhee and Hoya, who won their hearts and kept on getting praised. 


Even if he was playing a character who likes men, he never, not even once, expressed dissatisfaction. Honestly, idols have to care about their images but Hoya didn’t hesitate and played very well his character. I was very thankful that he followed me without any complaints. It was a tough role but since Hoya acted it out so well, of course, we were both happy.



Lastly, including Hoya, Shon Wonho PD showed how proud he was of Seo Ingook and Jung Eunji as well “From now on it’s these idols’ part. Later on, after they’ll get successful, if they tell me ‘Thank you’, I’ll reply that I’m thankful too” and wished them the best.





trans. cr; emilie @ infinite updates | source cr; tvdaily via daum ; take out with full credits








No comments:

Post a Comment