Thursday 19 July 2012

18.07.2012 [INTERVIEW] "WE PLAN TO LESSEN THE AMOUNT OF ANGLED GROUP CHREOGRAPHY. WE'LL SHOW INDIVIDUALITY"



[INTERVIEW] 120718 - Infinite, “We plan to lessen the amount of angled group choreography. We’ll show individuality”



Their start wasn’t different from any other idol group. However, it is very different now. Infinite, who has been promoting for just over 2 years. They have already grown into confident K-POP Hallyu singers. They aren’t from the ‘Big 3’ companies and a portion of the members weren’t planning to be in an idol group at first. I’m curious as to how they’ve come up to here.
I met with Infinite as they were almost finished with promotions for their newest song, ‘The Chaser’. They plan to open ‘2012 Infinite’s Arena Tour in Japan’ in October. They’ll meet with Japanese fans starting with Yokohoma Arena on October 27th and 28th, then Nagoya Gaishi Hall on November 1st, Kobe World Memorial Hall on November 3rd, and Fukuoka Marine Messe on November 11th.








- You’re opening an arena tour in Japan.


Hoya: “Because our seniors made the path well, we were able to go there as well. We will work hard.”


- You are all especially popular in Japan.


L: “We can’t feel it. I think it’s because of our friendly image. They said that characters like us aren’t in Japan. J-POP singers have a bit of a prince style and people feel they are hard to approach, but we’re comfortable, so I think that’s why.”

Woohyun: “I think our angled group choreography appealed to them. I feel like they’re acknowledging that we worked really hard.”


- Plans for overseas promotions besides in Japan?


Sungyeol: “We’ll be having a fanmeet on July 27th and 28th in Thailand. Although we went to Thailand a few times for performances, it’s the first time that we’re going for our personal event. I’m nervous.”

Woohyun: “Wherever it is, if they call us from any part of the world, I want to go. I want to go to either America or Europe. And truthfully, we haven’t even gone to China yet, which is close to us. It will be our first time having a fanmeeting somewhere else in Asia. However, we had our own performances in Singapore and Hong Kong.”


- You haven’t had much overseas promotions besides in Japan, but you have many overseas fans. 


Sunggyu: “That’s why it’s really fascinating. We even have fans in Malaysia, Indonesia, Argentina, and Brazil. I was really surprised. I think they became a fan of us through Youtube or the internet. I’m really proud. I feel really happy when fans say they learned Korean because of us. I also want to go to South America.”


- How do you think you were able to come up to here.


Hoya: “I think showing how we improved by putting an effort in, moved the hearts of fans.”

Dongwoo: “We have a family-like teamwork. That’s the reason why.”

Sunggyu: “Help from our company played a big role. We worked hard as well. Our CEO (Lee Joongyeop CEO) even sold his house to create our album. Our CEO risked it all. But sadly, we didn’t succeed with our debut album and second album. But because he kept believing in us, we thought often that we had to work hard as well. We became one.”


- I think that you’ve reached your dreams from debut days now.


Sunggyu: “I can finally feel that we’ve become singers now. I especially feel that we’ve become singers because we have concerts. I was happy to see people cheering after listening to our songs. I was really enjoying myself on stage. It was also a very valuable experience as well. However, we haven’t reached our final goal. We want to became the nation’s idols.”






- Do you have a rival?


Woohyun: “There aren’t any groups that we think of as rivals. Since everyone’s colors are different. Our colors are different as well. However, there are seniors that we wish to follow the examples of. Either g.o.d or DBSK seniors. DBSK’s U-Know Yunho senior especially gives us good advice.”


- Sunggyu, Woohyun, and Dongwoo, along with other members, it wasn’t originally your dream to become part of an idol group, right?


Dongwoo: “Thanks to that, our music is a bit different from other idol groups. There are also things we learn while sharing each of our music styles.”

Sunggyu: “Although I thought it was ridiculous that I became a member of an idol group, think of how the other members probably thought it was ridiculous too because they were going to do group promotions just like me. Even now, I don’t often think about how I’m an idol. When you look at L or Sungjong, even their visuals are idol-like, but I really felt I wasn’t. I’m currently promoting with the thought of, ‘when will I ever be in an idol group like this with kids like these in my life?’.”

Woohyun: “Truthfully speaking, I first danced after coming here.”

L: “I think it was destiny that Infinite became one. Since we already ended up promoting in an idol group like this, I want to become a group that creates a milestone in the music industry.”

Hoya: “If we get older, we can’t promote as an idol group anyways. Since it’s something we can only do now, I try to work hard. Later on, I want to become a true singer.”


- Any plans on your personal promotions?


Sunggyu: “If I’m given the chance, I want to do music in the style that I like. I have confidence in myself as well.”

Woohyun: “I don’t want to be trapped within one type of music. I plan to try out many types of music.”


- You’re living in a dorm together, how is the mood?


Woohyun: “Since we’ve been living together for 4 years, we feel like true brothers.”

Sunggyu: “It seems like a sitcom. Between guys, we have emotional fights and become happy over just food. And if there’s something bad going on, we even drink a cup of alcohol together. Because my hometown is Jeonju, there are a lot of things stacked up in the dorm. I’m also a bit sorry because I use a lot of space.”


- What are your thoughts on the Hallyu Wave?


Sungyeol: “When you just look at our group, the Hallyu Wave is an opportunity and a burden at once. There are many people who pay attention to Korean music. We have to work hard to not embarrass them. As much as it is a good opportunity, we will not disappoint.”






- Is there an artist overseas that you would like to work with?


Sunggyu: “It would be really nice if we could work with them just by saying their names. But there are many like Radiohead and Taylor Swift along with others.”

Hoya: “Usher. It would be nice if he would follow me back on Twitter.”

Dongwoo: “I like the humorous styles of Nicki Minaj.”

Woohyun: “Stevie Wonder and Eric Benet.”

Sungjong: “I really like Beyonce. There was a time where Beyonce created a stage in the style of group choreography with a back-up dance, and it seemed like it would really fit if she did it together with us.”


- You have the nickname of group choreography-dols. Do you plan to continue this character.


Sungyeol: “Truthfully speaking, we try not to do it now. Although it’s our character, it may seem suffocating.”

Sunggyu: “Since Hoya and Dongwoo normally danced, perfectly matching group choreography was probably suffocating for them. I can dance now too. (Laughter)”

Hoya: “Rather than match it like machines, I think it’s come to point where we should show our individuality.”


- Are you not going on break?


Members: “We want to go. Even if we have performances overseas, we can’t play when we go there. It’s sad. There was a time where the members and family members of the company went to Phuket as a vacation after we debuted. It was really fun. Even if it’s not overseas, we want to go play somewhere in Korea like a mountain stream. 



trans. cr; hyejin @ infinite updates | source cr; enews24 ; take out with FULL credits





No comments:

Post a Comment